NutritionJunkie Shop

Monday, March 15, 2010

2010 Total Health Show-Toronto

So what did I do this weekend? On Saturday March 13, I headed out to the good old “ 2010 Total Health Expo.” For you not so savvy nutrition junkies, a health show is basically that- a health convention...ha ha....just kidding! The “Total Health Show” started out back in 1978 and since then it has grown and become one of the most popular events for those in the natural health industry. It has attracted the most high profile leaders in the holistic health industry who come together and offer workshops, lectures and speak about special topics in holistic health.

The show consists of hundreds of exhibitors such as my personal favourites, Genuine Health, Vega Sport, Interactive Nutrition, Progressive Nutritional, and Blue Mountain Organics (sampled and offered through Upaya Natural) Some even give away free samples. Those with much larger marketing budgets of course.

My experience: When I walked into the show I was expecting to receive a hemp/organic delegate bag or just any bag to carry around and use as safe storage for all the wonderful products, samples and brochures, which I was expecting to carry out. But to my disappointment, there were no bags or free samples. Many health companies promoting all natural protein powder did not have any samples which was surprisingly shocking considering a convention is primarily used to introduce products to consumers. I wanted to introduce my friend to a new vegetarian protein powder that I really like. Unfortunately, there were no samples, so my friend was reluctant to buy a large container given that many protein powders taste completely different. For someone making the transition from a dairy based protein powder to vegan, samples would have been nice. Nonetheless, the show was still had a great vibe and was a good time.

My personal favourite was the Upaya Naturals Booth who provided samples of the new Blue Mountain Oragnics "Cashew Creamery, Raw & Organic, Non-Dairy Ice Cream." It’s half the saturated fat of dairy ice cream, all natural, contains heart healthy monosurated fat, (like that of olive oil), sweetened with all natural agave nectar and has a creamy delicious taste. Need I say more?! My second favourite bwas the table with the abundance of organic Goji Berries by Sun Life Goji. And might I add my personal favourite in the replace of popcorn at the movie theatre. Indeed, I indulged in handfuls of Goji Berries while walking around the show enjoying the fresh scent of honey & lavender aromas in the room in search of new natural products and samples. If you haven`t had these or have not heard about them, click here for the nutritional facts on Goji Berries. You may want to add them into your diet as a healthy snack. My third favourite was Bee's Universe. I was eventually peeled away from the booth once I hydrated myself with their honey hand cream. It smelled so sweet and felt so soothing on the skin. For honey lovers, Bee’s Universe had various assortments of honey that was just delicious- no not the hand cream, the honey. It was “Oh So Yummy!” Lastly, I took a wealth of information out the door with me. In particular, I learned about Bee Pollen Supplements, sold by Bees Universe. If you didn't know this, (because I didn’t) Bee Pollen is known as natures most complete food and as prescribed by some of the most well known traditional health practitioners, such as Hippocrates. Let me explain...

Bee Pollen has many nutrients such as vitamins and minerals. It has 12 vitamins, 28 minerals, 11 enzymes, 14 essential fatty acids, 11 carbohydrates. It is used to increase energy levels, enhance performance, stamina, strength and increased speed of recovery for world class athletes. The nutrients in bee pollen contain proteins, fats, vitamins B, C, D, E, and beta-carotene, calcium, magnesium, selenium, nucleic acids, lecithin, and cysteine are all beneficial to counteracting the effects of radiation therapy which is administered as a form of treatments for cancer. The anti-oxidants strengthen the immune system (see a case study by Bee’s Universe) and treats nausea & decreased appetite after radiation treatments. Other benefits of bee pollen include: treating sleep disorders, hay fever and allergies, fertility, menopause, prostatitis and bleeding ulcers.

So as you can see, although there were limited samples and no delegate bags, the information I gathered and the new products I found made it all worth my while. For the not so savvy nutrition junkie, maybe you can try it out next year to learn a few tips, ask questions about certain conditions you may have and want to treat and get introduced to products that may be natural and better for your health.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.
    Nuk

    Keep Posting:)

    ReplyDelete